Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Last Flight from Taipei


Last Flight from Taipei - Deborah Wirsu
Last Flight from Taipei
When you start to think about memories, you realise just how many one person can have, and their diversity. Should I choose from past triumphs or disappointments, family, significant events, the joy of seeing a child discover and remember new experiences, the effect of ageing on memory, or simply a quirk of my personality that makes me wonder sometimes if there is something I should remember to do?  Or should I represent 'memory' in more abstract terms? It was a difficult decision!

My thoughts kept returning to 'family' as, despite only having a small family, they play a very large part in my life and therefore, memories.

'Last Flight from Taipei' relates to a specific time - midnight on Monday July 28, 2008, when Typhoon Fung-wong was crossing directly over Taiwan. My son was due to leave Taipei on a flight to Hong Kong around that time. He had been in contact with me in the hours prior to departure and I could hear the noise of the terrible wind, even over the phone to Australia.

At the time I was watching the typhoon's progress via internet satellite, and saved a snapshot of the storm. As it turned out, his flight was one of the last to leave Taipei International Airport before it closed while the eye of the storm passed over.


Last Flight from Taipei (Detail)  - Deborah Wirsu
Detail 1 - Last Flight from Taipei

My quilt represents the passage of the typhoon over Taiwan, moving towards mainland China. Taiwan and The Philippines are hidden below the storm clouds and the aircraft, positioned over Taipei, represents the insignificance of man-made things in the face of the powerful force of nature. 

The quilt measures 15 x 15" and is constructed with hand dyed and commercial cottons, using raw edge appliqué, with cotton, rayon and metallic thread. Quilting is used to suggest the pattern of isobars on the weather map at the time.
Last Flight from Taipei (Detail)  - Deborah Wirsu
Detail 2 - Last Flight from Taipei

Last Flight from Taipei (Detail)  - Deborah Wirsu
Detail 3 - Last Flight from Taipei
My other work can be seen on my blog

8 comments:

  1. I really like the way you have used the satellite picture of the storm. Without knowing what it is it still remains an interesting abstract image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was that it was a satellite photo inspired you! Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your use of line, colour, texture - it clearly portrays the terror or a typhoon

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really captured the intensity of that moment in time that you and your family experienced. The quilting of the isobars adds so much movement to the piece. I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very dramatic. I am nervous for that plane!
    Absolutely fabulous sense of movement as well.
    A very gripping image indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quilt, captures that moment in time perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous complementary colours swirling in the abstract, but so closely connected with the storm event. Very successful.

    ReplyDelete