Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Memories of Macau - Amanda Sievers




This piece is based on my extremely fond memories of Macau, a place my husband and I lived and worked for 4 years. When we went back in June 2013 just after Janice had asked me if I would be interested in joining the Latitude quilt group, I knew I had the subject for the ‘Memories’ piece.


The city is Chinese but filled with many Portuguese influences. The black and white limestone paving with its strong geometric design enhanced by images of seahorses, fish, boats and crabs is found on nearly every sidewalk and beautiful mosaics adorn planters, fountains and walls. I love these things about Macau and I used 3 basic elements in the design of my piece. I wanted this piece to feel as if I were walking along the limestone paving through a corridor of mosaic elements. The colours I have used are similar to those found on the real thing; though I brightened them up I bit.





Materials Used: Hand dyed fabric, calico, fusible webbing




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful colour scheme.
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! The quilting in the white area gives a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I've never been in such place. I like your mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this exciting and stimulating. It really exudes the vitality of Macau. So glad you have joined our group, Amanda!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is visually stunning - great design and colour choices, and incorporating mosaic with other techniques is particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely piece Amanda. welcome to the challenge!
    I love the very graphic appeal of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work, very intricate. The colours and patterns are striking. Lovely to have you join us and looking forward to seeing your next quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. This combines 'modern' quilt elements of geometry with the older crumbling feel of the city - it captures the essence you describe very well. A very interesting colour palette as well. Look forward to more works from you.

    ReplyDelete