Monday, September 30, 2013

Sound of Silence - The Rain Has Finally Stopped




My first thought for this challenge was to try to capture the moment when the rain finally stops after the annual monsoon. Some years here in Koh Samui it can be fairly light but some years it can be really heavy, raining constantly for weeks on end. The sound of the rain day in, day out can start to send you a bit crazy. Then, one day, out of the blue, it just stops. For me, this is my sound of silence. The silence is deafening and it takes a little while to adjust to the new state.

I also wanted to try a nature based piece and the idea of zooming right into the subject really appeals to me.

The leaves and background are made up of commercial fabric fused appliqué and I used my own hand dyed fabric for the leaf veins. As I am trying to incorporate new techniques into every challenge piece, I tried my hand at thread painting for the shading on the leaves and veins and free motion stippling inside the leaves. I loved both techniques and look forward to doing more.



To try to capture the moment it stops raining, I used double thickness black tulle onto which I stitched raindrops – straight stitch then satin stitch to make the drops. I placed this over half of the piece. On the other half of the piece, I stitched silver thread to try to emulate water dribbling down the leaf vein with a large drop dangling from the leaf point. I am not sure if I succeeded or not, but I had a great time making this piece.

I used a facing to bind the quilt but I had a few issues as the tulle and the stabilizer used for the heavy embroidery caused the edges to be quite thick and difficult to bind.

Materials Used: 100% commercial cotton from Big Horn Quilts, hand dyed cotton, Madeira rayon thread, silver metallic thread, black tulle.


Amanda Sievers

9 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful piece, I can almost "hear" the lack of sound. And a delicate green colour-palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your process, and the results are spectacular. I love the two different kinds of raindrop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Getting into a new technique worked really well in this visually beautiful piece of lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! Getting into a new technique worked really well in this visually beautiful piece of lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, the leaves really worked and the different forms of rain are captured so well. That raindrop jumps right off the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, I think you really succeeded in what you wanted to show. As I experienced heavy rain in the Phuket area years ago I understand what you mean. Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your piece depicts exactly what you wanted to in a very elegant way. I love the tulle over only half the piece to suggest the abrupt silence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Amanda! You have put a lot of work into the piece and it has certainly paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done. Love the leaves that jump off the quilt surface.

    ReplyDelete