Sunday, December 15, 2013

Stop the World - I Want to Get Off!




My first thought for this theme was a very calm and tranquil image based on a Zen garden I had seen in Japan. However, after a quite a stressful day, I thought of the phrase ‘Stop the world, I want to get off!’ and I knew I had the basis for the 'Escape' theme. 
Quite rapidly I formed the idea of using cogs to signify all of the events and happenings in everyday life and the world in general – all of those things that we (try to) normally balance on a day to day basis. The chaos and number of cogs in the piece represents life when it just gets too much and we just want to 'escape'.
 


I used many different fabrics from hand dyed to commercial cotton, shot silk, Hessian, tulle and cheesecloth to represent the many different aspects, events and happenings in our lives. Some are big and bold; others are less specific and less defined. The cogs start in my head and extend over the piece to the very edges, giving the idea that the world extends past the borders of the piece.

I painted the background with fabric paints and silk screened an image of my own profile onto the background. I then fused fabric and cut out the cogs, laying them in an overlapping fashion. For the cheesecloth cogs, I first painted them with acrylic paint. I stitched around the cogs with straight and blanket stitch before sandwiching the quilt and quilting with mono-filament.

Amanda Sievers

9 comments:

  1. This is a very rich and complex design Amanda. I have had the pleasure of seeing it in real life and it far exceeds the photos. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice! and well worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very nice! and well worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is multi-faceted, and would be great to see in real life. Good that you got your inspiration early on, and could spend your time developing it through all the layers and techniques that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoy the depth of detail, and blend of colours and fabric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoy the depth of detail, and blend of colours and fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi amanda
    Fascinating! I think you really have achieved a sense of the hustle and bustle of everyday life and I love your choice and treatment of the various materials to reflect the different aspects of life. I would also love to see your Zen quilt. What could life be like if we did manage to 'stop and get off' Hilary Florence

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this piece Amanda,
    It is wonderful to explore and very well matched to this theme.
    I think we can all relate to this one!

    ReplyDelete