Friday, January 31, 2014

Inner Balance




Several ideas came to mind for the theme of Balance – balancing our lives, the balance of nature, spiritual balance as well as many literal interpretations - but the one that kept coming back to me was the idea of our internal physical balance, the inner ear, specifically the cochlea, with its lovely spiral form.
 
Our physical balance is largely dependent on the health of the inner ear, and any inflammation, injury or upset can, quite literally, send us into a spin. My intent became to abstract our inner physical balance on a very close up scale, and to produce a calm, peaceful image reflecting internal balance.

I started with fusible webbing which I painted with metallic acrylic paint. I love how the paint runs and merges with this technique, creating random effects, which I doubt I could paint intentionally. Once dry, I cut the webbing into strips and then fused them onto black background fabric.


To emulate the vibration of the inner ear, I left a small gap in between the strips and staggered them one up, one down. A simple spiral of free motion quilting in a bright turquoise thread finished the piece. I intentionally skewed the spiral to add to the feeling of movement and vibration.


I bound the piece with black on black Chinese silk brocade fabric. 

Materials used: Black cotton fabric, acrylic paint, fusible webbing, Chinese silk brocade, rayon thread, cotton batting.

 Amanda Sievers

8 comments:

  1. never know about such fact of inner ear, thank you, Amanda! Interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea.It is very intelligent and your way of presenting it is excellent. Beautiful result with the painted webbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An exquisite composition to illustrate a tiny but important physiology. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The repetition of the vertical shapes, linked by the spiral stitching, gives a very harmonious piece. The techniques were ideal for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the thought behind this piece, Amanda; the offset strips for vibrations and the skewed spiral are great ideas. I think your piece exudes calm in the composition and the color selection. I have GOT to try to paint fusible; it's lovely. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love this piece! My first thought was that it reminded me of ancient symbolism in the temples of Asia or Egypt. Your concept of spiritual and physical balance, vibrations of the inner ear, etc resonate with that idea to me (pardon the pun!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Amanda. The fusible was a perfect choice. What an interesting concept for this theme. A beautiful Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely colours, they blend so beautifully and show up against the black. Vibrant yet so controlled. I love the surprise of the silk brocade on the close up image

    ReplyDelete