Friday, January 31, 2014

Who's a clever little flamingo? (Pondering Eccentricity 2)


Who's a clever little flamingo? (Pondering Eccentricity 2)
When thinking about the theme of Balance, I initially thought to take a philosophical or psychological approach, but in the end opted for a more literal, and a touch flirtatious, slant.
This is not what I would call a 'serious' piece, but I certainly had a lot of fun creating this little gal. One of my early quilts also featured a flamingo - Pondering Eccentricity - and, although I wouldn't consider it one of my best works, I always liked the quirkiness of the bird featured in that quilt. So, when considering Balance, my thoughts turned back to the bird that is the master of this technique!
I have many photos of flamingos, taken on trips to Asia in recent years, and these were my inspiration. I never did see any of the birds assuming this rather contorted posture, though!

The bird has been created using raw-edge appliqué, with satin stitch edging while the background is a collage of many little pieces of cotton and organza. I have used a variety of materials in this quilt - cotton (both hand dyed and commercial), organza, felt and beads. Free motion stitching has been worked using rayon and polyester threads.


The eye lashes are fastened at the 'rim' so that they can curl seductively!
There is minimal quilting on the bird herself, but the background is quite heavily quilted in order to secure all the tiny pieces of organza.

The quilt measures 15" x 15".
More of my work can be seen on my blog




10 comments:

  1. Wow! How gorgeous! Seems there is a bit of a bird theme going on in this series. Wonderful work Deborah, I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a funny bird! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have managed to give your little flamingo friend loads of personality. I love the detail and care you have put into the background. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Strangely enough, I remember wearing eyelashes like that...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the confetti blues and greens in the background. And the humour in the bird, but also the pleasing abstract composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a humorous metaphor for what I think is a good course of action: sometimes we absolutely do need to look at a situation from a completely different perspective to know what to do to find balance. Your flamingo is very charming and I'm so glad you included her single leg because who doesn't think of flamingos balancing on one leg?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful whimsical quilt! This piece is so much fun and lovely to look at. It really does make one think of a balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect! Colours, details and that cute girl. Her expression is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a humorous way to interpret balance. I really like your quilting of the background with all those small pieces of fabrics and the thread painted grass. Lovely color palette. Well done!

    ReplyDelete