Monday, March 31, 2014

The Writing's on the Wall

Love - The Writing's on the Wall - Amanda Sievers
Love...it comes in so many forms and can be expressed in so many different ways that, for this challenge, the idea of using graffiti really appealed to me and gave me a great platform to explore surface design at a higher level than I had done before. I also wanted to try to convey the idea of how fluid love can be - how love comes and goes, how love moves and shifts in intensity, how it can be strong and vibrant, possibly at the beginning of a relationship (or further into a relationship, if we can be that fortunate) and how love can fade, dull and diminish over time, like the writing on a wall.

This piece gave me opportunity to really work on building layers and exploring surface design more deeply. I first dyed a piece of cotton mid grey, then I silk screened on an ezy-screen print I made of the brick wall. Next I got out the chlorox bleach pen and started taking out some colour which you can see in the light green areas. Once happy with that, I got out the sharpies and fabric pens, drawing and writing expressions of love all over the piece. I also used liquid paper (white-out), stamped on some hearts in red acrylic paint that I cut from lino block and smudged and sponged on some purple & red acrylic paint. Lastly, I used an image transfer paste for the large word 'LOV' that I had created using sharpies on white copy paper. It looked incomplete, so I added the 'e' at the end with fabric pens and finally the piece looked balance to me.

Lastly I quilted the piece using pretty rough stitching along the lines of the brick work and major elements.




Materials: Cotton hand dyed fabric, acrylic paint, sharpie pens, fabric pens, silk screen paint, white-out, chlorox bleach pen, dylon image transfer paste, Madeira thread.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Amanda! I love the interplay between the dull grey wall and the energetic graffiti over the top. You must have had fun using all the different techniques. A clever concept for the theme too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have managed to show the raw but still romantic way of telling I love you on this Graffiti wall. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chaos, with all the hidden messages. Great to learn your methods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! We have similar graffiti on the walls! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun, The details provide a wealth of interesting detail to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely fabulous, Amanda! All the fonts, ideas, layers... it's great! This has wonderful details in a cohesive whole that I imagine wasn't easy to create.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact that you've used so many different elements and techniques to create this fabulous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your graffiti is an elegant way to avoid all the kitschy possibilities to express love. Using all the different techniques let the wall looking like formed over a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic piece! You really have captured the graffiti in an excellent way, with the different layers and the changing over time.
    Glad you explained the methods you used.

    ReplyDelete