Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Red Tussock

Red Tussock
Anyone who read my recent post about quilt disasters will have some insight into how this quilt came about. After a number of 'problems' I abandoned my first quilt for this theme (Wild) and began again.

The question of working out why the original quilt (which featured quite a dominant, abstracted wild animal scene), just wasn't working for me was answered to some end by a friend of mine, who suggested that, due to my current frenzied timetable of music, quilting and work commitments, perhaps I innately felt the need to create a more tranquil scene. 

Red Tussock was created totally free-form. The free-cut, pieced background uses several different fabrics, then shards of organza, which had been fused with painted fusible web, were cut freehand using a rotary cutter and arranged to create layers of depth of colour. 

Red Tussock - detail
Once the organza had been stitched into position, I added the tussock detail with machine thread sketching, using a variegated thread and several darker threads for depth. 

Red Tussock - detail
Coincidentally, the back of the quilt creates quite a pleasing image, in its own right. 

Red Tussock - back of quilt
I was a little disappointed that I was not able to satisfactorily 'bring off' my original idea, and as a result, this quilt did not benefit from the time I normally put into a design, but the making of it gave me a feeling of relaxation and freedom, which I think is just what I needed at the time. 

More of my work can be seen on my blog. http://www.deborahwirsu.com
Deborah Wirsu










6 comments:

  1. I love the seed heads on the grasses - great use of contrasting textures. Quite a moody piece created by the background fabrics. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful visually complex piece. There is so much to keep the viewer interested. Love how the back of the quilt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a delicious piece, Deb. Cameron's favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Julia, that background is strong and moody, it sets off the delicacy of the leaves and seed heads well. It's stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw this quilt I just thought whow!! The colors are lovely and the delicate sewn grasses in the front just reinforce the beauty of it.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me the colours of your background are wild. It is great for the tussock. I cannot see why you should put more time in your quilt, I like it.

    ReplyDelete