After reading about collage process used by Valerie S. Goodwin, I decided to make an ‘Art quilt map’ to fit in with this theme of ‘Escape’. The building plan I have used is fictional and has no particular significance. It is up to the viewer to decide if it is a prison, castle or a house.
My primary intention of this piece was not so much in interpreting the theme, but to present a visual buffet of shape, line, texture and colour.
The collage process was quite an enjoyable one:
1. Light coloured fabric were cut (or torn) and sewn onto a substrate.
2. Chunky hand sewing was then added in a random way to give this background some extra texture.
3. Fabric paint was added sparingly with a brush to unify patchwork pieces together. I also added a stencils throughout the process.
4. A few sheer fabrics were then applied with misty fuse.
5. The linear and rectangular elements of the plan were then fused into place and thread painted/quilted.
6. More hand sewing was then added to give the piece more interest.
I think I would like to make another piece of a place that I identify with– something with paddocks, rivers and dirt roads. I also like the idea of adding your own poetry, like a Haiku.
|'Escape Plan' by Linden Lancaster 2013|
|'Escape Plan' detail 1|
|'Escape Plan' detail 2|