Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quilting holiday in rural France

Quilting in Peace Studio

If you love quilting and quiet holidays, and happen to find yourself traveling to Europe, especially France or the UK, then you can’t go past spending a few days, or more, at Quilting In Peace, in rural Brittany, France, owned by Lucy and Derek Allan.


Having just spent a week in this glorious place, I can attest to the restorative qualities of the environment and the inspiration a lovely studio, in the countryside and away from home, can offer!


The latest reveal from the Latitude Quilters occurred during my visit, so I was able to sit with my little laptop and enjoy the visual feast that unfolded on Reveal Day!


After some time in the UK visiting family in various places, I took the night ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo, France - an overnight journey on a very comfortable ferry with well appointed cabins. Hiring a car in St Malo, the journey to St Vran was a challenge, as I'm not used to driving a left hand drive car, on the right side of the road, and my French is subsistence level, to say the least. Only once did I find myself on the wrong side of the road - to the astonishment of the person in the car behind me! Fortunately, it was on a quiet country road, so no harm came to anyone.

Quilting in Peace, St Vran, Brittany
Lucy and Derek run a small B&B, quilting breaks and workshops, or you can just do as I did and sit-and-sew in the beautifully appointed studio, with a feast of fabrics and notions on offer. Coming from overseas, I arranged with Lucy to use her machines and equipment as I was not able to take much with me. If you want to do this, you need to make sure you arrange this with Lucy when booking.


Lucy runs workshops and often has fellow patchworkers and quilters come along for a day to 'sit and sew'. I met two wonderful friends of Lucy's when they spent a day at the studio during my visit.

The B&B and studio are housed in a fully restored, 300 year old French farmhouse, with a beautiful outlook over surrounding countryside. When it’s warm, you can sit outside with your coffee and enjoy the sunshine and flowers! There is plenty to see and do in surrounding towns and villages, with views and experiences to stimulate any quilter!


So, if you need some time to yourself to be creative, you can't go past spending a few days - or more - at Quilting in Peace. At the end of my stay, my work is far from finished, but is something to look forward to completing at home. Lucy is waiting for a photo to replace the ‘unfinished’ work she last saw!




For more about my trip to 'Quilting in Peace', France and the UK, see my blog.


3 comments:

  1. Yes! I certainly could have stayed a lot longer than 6 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your trip experience and photos. It looks lovely! Janice

    ReplyDelete