After dismissing a few other ideas I took my sketchbook and looked for this exercise, then started to find out how to turn this paper exercise into fabric.
I replaced paper with lutradur to get enough stifness to be able to fold the partially cut-out shapes. I first painted the lutradur with setacolor paint. As the sprayed ink I had used in my sketchbook flowed I used wax pastels to paint the heart shapes, a dark red for the bigger ones on the yellow lutradur and a light pink for the small hearts on the dark pink lutradur. I first painted and cut out the big heart then put the second layer under the first one in order to align both hearts. Like in y sketchbook I cut the bigger heart in the middle to open it like a window to both sides and left a small bridge in the middle of the smaller heart.
Both lutradur layers were stitched between the top fabric layer (the surface) and a bottom fabric layer plus batting and backing.
Contrary to my sketchbook work I didn't cut out a window in the top layer. Instead I left a flap I was able to roll open more or less over the hearts to accentuate the idea of layers, that the heart shapes are under the layer of green fabric. I added a few stitched squares to give the impression that one cannot see everywhere what is under the surface and has to imagine it.
commercial hand dyed cotton fabric
fabric paint and wax pastels
PS the picture of mmy sketchbook page for this quilt is still in the gallery of Creative Quiltmaking on the homepage of Linda Kemshall.