Saturday, March 30, 2013

Tea - this flavoured water that does us so good

Tea is a great part of my life, every single day. The tea does me good, it makes me stay calm, relax, it helps me find a moment's peace. So I just had to do something with tea. I love the elegant japanese sign for tea, and I also wanted to bring in one of my teacups. I used photo-transfer for the cup, and stenciled the sign with Markal oilstick. The text was done with my embroderymaschine. The I machine-quilted the background with simple straight lines, some angular spiky shapes at the bottom and finished with seed-stitch and french knots. Simple binding in red framed the piece.


 And some close-ups
:

11 comments:

  1. I just love the colours and details of this piece. And I also love tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful design. It echos the Japanese Zen aesthetic so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of tea also! These colours work together so well. A very lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the combination of different techniques! Best regards to all tea lovers from tea lover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite details. Wonderful Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That could have been my every day 'thing' too. Love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greta you make me realise that hand stitching sometimes conveys a layer and texture that machine work can't match. The art of tea drinking in Japan is elegant, and that comes through into your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Greta,
    I am so drawn to these colors.
    How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I confess, my mother only gave me tea when I was ill so I don't have a positive association with it.... until now. This is gorgeous. You convey such calm and peace with this artwork. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is such a calming simplicity to this quilt until you look closely. What a wonderful blend of detail with a beautiful simple image

    ReplyDelete